[hugin-ptx] Assertion error; Hugin 2014.0.0 on Lubuntu 14.04
paul womack
2015-04-02 08:20:08 UTC
I just updated my PPA per

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu#Shortcut

and updated Hugin.

And I'm now getting an assertion error when running Hugin. I don't know what
my previous (non-assertion-throwing) Hugin version was.

Any help (including going back a version or two) gratefully accepted.

I've attached the detailed dumps and versions at the end of this email.

BugBear

ASSERT INFO:
/usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/strvararg.h(451): assert "(argtype & (wxFormatStringSpecifier<T>::value)) == argtype" failed in wxArgNormalizer(): format specifier doesn't match argument type

BACKTRACE:
[1] CPImageCtrl::setCtrlPoint(HuginBase::ControlPoint const&, bool)
[2] CPEditorPanel::UpdateDisplay(bool)
[3] CPEditorPanel::setLeftImage(unsigned int)
[4] CPEditorPanel::panoramaImagesChanged(PT::Panorama&, std::set<unsigned int, std::less<unsigned int>, std::allocator<unsigned int> > const&)
[5] PT::PanoramaObserver::panoramaImagesChanged(HuginBase::PanoramaData&, std::set<unsigned int, std::less<unsigned int>, std::allocator<unsigned int> > const&)
[6] HuginBase::Panorama::changeFinished(bool)
[7] HuginBase::PanoCommand<std::string>::execute()
[8] CommandHistory::addCommand(AppBase::Command<std::string>*, bool)
[9] MainFrame::LoadProjectFile(wxString const&)
[10] huginApp::OnInit()
[11] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[12] main
[13] __libc_start_main
[14] _start

My linux is:

cat /etc/*-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="14.04.2 LTS, Trusty Tahr"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS"
VERSION_ID="14.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

The Hugin Help/System dialog reports:

Operating System: Linux 3.13.0-48-generic x86_64
Architecture: 64 bit
Free memory: 4979584 kiB

Hugin
Version: 2014.0.0.5da69bc383dd
Path to resources: /usr/share/hugin/xrc/
Path to data: /usr/share/hugin/data/
Path to user lensfun database: /home/bugbear/.local/share/lensfun

Libraries
wxWidgets: 3.0.0.0
libpano13: 2.9.19
Boost: 1.54.0
Exiv2: 0.23.0
Lensfun: 0.2.8.0
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---
T. Modes
2015-04-12 07:28:12 UTC
Post by paul womack
I just updated my PPA per
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu#Shortcut
and updated Hugin.
And I'm now getting an assertion error when running Hugin. I don't know what
my previous (non-assertion-throwing) Hugin version was.
This is fixed in repository some time ago. The cause is mainly the switch
from wxWidgets 2.8 to 3.0, where the handling of the assert messages
changed.
Post by paul womack
Any help (including going back a version or two) gratefully accepted.
So your alternatives can be
* go forward and compile default branch
* recompile 2014.0 with wxWidgets 2.8

Thomas
bugbear
2015-04-13 08:57:00 UTC
Post by paul womack
I just updated my PPA per
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu#Shortcut
and updated Hugin.
And I'm now getting an assertion error when running Hugin. I don't know what
my previous (non-assertion-throwing) Hugin version was.
Any help (including going back a version or two) gratefully accepted.
I've attached the detailed dumps and versions at the end of this email.
Summary; ppa:hugin/next works, ppa:hugin/hugin-builds throws the assertion.

Well, this is odd.
I have another laptop runing Ubuntu 14.04, and it was working
OK.

Some detailed comparison led to a cure, but it's a little strange.

Following THIS page:

https://launchpad.net/~hugin/+archive/ubuntu/next
(and its linked friend: https://launchpad.net/~hugin/+archive/ubuntu/hugin-builds)

I added:
ppa:hugin/next

and
ppa:hugin/hugin-builds
(the lattter is also the PPA indicated by http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu#Shortcut)

To my failing laptop. Much updating later, Hugin still threw the Assertion
error.

Checking the PPA list on the working laptop, I found that it ONLY
had

ppa:hugin/next

So I change the failing laptop to that, did a load of remove/update/install stuff,
and - bingo - it worked.

So - am I now on some bizarre side branch?

BugBear
Stefan Peter
2015-04-13 18:57:02 UTC
Hi Paul
Post by bugbear
Post by paul womack
I just updated my PPA per
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu#Shortcut
and updated Hugin.
And I'm now getting an assertion error when running Hugin. I don't know what
my previous (non-assertion-throwing) Hugin version was.
Any help (including going back a version or two) gratefully accepted.
I've attached the detailed dumps and versions at the end of this email.
Summary; ppa:hugin/next works, ppa:hugin/hugin-builds throws the assertion.
Can you give some more information regarding what assertions are thrown
and in what circumstances? I know that there is a problem with using the
about dialog in the version from the hugin-builds version:

/usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/object.h(160): assert "wxDynamicCast(ptr, T)"
failed in wxCheckCast(): wxStaticCast() used incorrectly

but I'm not aware of any other problem in the 2014.0.0 version from
hugin-builds. And I use it myself under 14.04.2 LTS

With kind regards

Stefan Peter
--
Any technology that does not appear magical is insufficiently advanced."
~ Gregory Benford
jussi
2015-04-25 05:27:53 UTC
Post by Stefan Peter
Hi Paul
Post by bugbear
Post by paul womack
[...]

I got the very same assertion failure. Backtrace is

ASSERT INFO:
/usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/object.h(160): assert "wxDynamicCast(ptr, T)" failed
in wxCheckCast(): wxStaticCast() used incorrectly

BACKTRACE:
[1] GLPreviewFrame::SetGuiLevel(GuiLevel)
[2] MainFrame::SetGuiLevel(GuiLevel)
[3] MainFrame::MainFrame(wxWindow*, PT::Panorama&)
[4] huginApp::OnInit()
[5] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[6] main
[7] __libc_start_main
[8] _start

That started when i upgraded from ubuntu 14.04 to 14.10 and continues in
ubuntu 15.04.

After the message if i continue the program dies.

Synaptics shows hugin version 2014.0+dfsg-Subuntu1-utopic version for hugin,
hugin-data and hugin-tools and 4.1.3+dsg-2ubuntu1-utopic for enblend and enfuse.

Synaptics also finds libwxbase2.8-0 version 2.8.12.1+dfsg2-2ubuntu1 and also
libbase3.0-0 version 3.0.2-1 installed.

Python-wxgtk3.0 version 3.01.1+dfsg-2 and python-wxversion 3.0.1.1+dsg-2
are installed.
Stefan Peter
2015-04-20 07:13:24 UTC
Hi BugBear

I have updated the hugin and enblend/enfuse packages in ppa:hugin/next
to the versions used in debian jessie. This should cure quite some
problems with failing asserts. Please have a look, if these versions fix
your problems I will move them over to ppa:hugin/latest

With kind regards

Stefan Peter
Gnome Nomad
2015-04-20 08:33:56 UTC
Hmm, I use Debian Sid & get the assertion error from certain dialog boxes
w/ the Audacity audio editor. IIRC, the bug report about that says Debian
compiled some library w/ debug enabled.

I don't get the assertion error in Hugin, I just sometimes get nothing in
the panosphere area except part of whatever is lying behind it on the
screen. Sometimes it shows the panosphere, which is odd because I have it
set to not show the panosphere.

Debian Sid, 64bit, using XFCE & the Light Display Manager, on 3 different
PCs, 2 with Intel hardware, 1 with AMD.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/5534A714.7000604%40swissonline.ch
.
bugbear
2015-04-20 13:30:56 UTC
Post by Stefan Peter
Hi BugBear
I have updated the hugin and enblend/enfuse packages in ppa:hugin/next
to the versions used in debian jessie. This should cure quite some
problems with failing asserts. Please have a look, if these versions fix
your problems I will move them over to ppa:hugin/latest
But (see my previous post) my current "working" scenario
was already to have

ppa:hugin/next

but NOT
ppa:hugin/hugin-builds

What PPA's should I have set up for your test?

BugBear
bugbear
2015-04-20 13:40:46 UTC
Stefan Peter
2015-04-20 14:43:41 UTC
Post by bugbear
Post by Stefan Peter
Hi BugBear
I have updated the hugin and enblend/enfuse packages in ppa:hugin/next
to the versions used in debian jessie. This should cure quite some
problems with failing asserts. Please have a look, if these versions fix
your problems I will move them over to ppa:hugin/latest
But (see my previous post) my current "working" scenario
was already to have
ppa:hugin/next
This had
hugin-2014.0.0+dfsg-3ubuntu1

and was updated to

hugin-2014.0.0+dfsg-5ubuntu1
Post by bugbear
but NOT
ppa:hugin/hugin-builds
This has
hugin-2014.0.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1

and will be updated to

hugin-2014.0.0+dfsg-5ubuntu1

after you have tested it.

All these versions are based upon the same hugin-2014.0.0 release source
code. They differ in the amount of additional patches (originating from
the debian developers).
Post by bugbear
What PPA's should I have set up for your test?
ppa:hugin/next

I will update ppa:hugin/hugin-builds after I got your feedback.

Thank you for your support.

Stefan Peter
Andreas Metzler
2015-04-22 16:43:02 UTC
Stefan Peter <***@swissonline.ch> wrote:
[...]
Post by Stefan Peter
All these versions are based upon the same hugin-2014.0.0 release source
code. They differ in the amount of additional patches (originating from
the debian developers).
[...]

Actually the patches fixing the assertion originate from the hugin
developers, we have only cherrypicked them. Credit where credit is
due. ;-)

cu Andreas
Stefan Peter
2015-04-22 18:10:13 UTC
Post by Andreas Metzler
[...]
Post by Stefan Peter
All these versions are based upon the same hugin-2014.0.0 release source
code. They differ in the amount of additional patches (originating from
the debian developers).
[...]
Actually the patches fixing the assertion originate from the hugin
developers, we have only cherrypicked them. Credit where credit is
due. ;-)
But _you_ picked them. And i just pulled from your repo. So it is your
responsibility ;)

I really appreciate your lead in these issues.

Regards

Stefan Peter